A Gestalt Approach to Working with Adolescents
5- 8 December, 2018
11am-6pm Weds, Thurs, Fri; 11am-4.30pm Sat
This part experiential, part didactic course caters for counsellors, psychotherapists and other professionals working with young people. It draws on the approaches of Gestalt therapists Mark McConville and Violet Oaklander, Attachment and Family Systems theories, Lifemusic practice and Playback Theatre.
This course explores the following:
· Adolescent development: stages of maturation
· Adolescent context- the relational Field: family, peers, community
· Attachment, identity, arts media and questing
· The role of anger in separation/’disembedding’
· Social media and cyber security
Theoretical and experiential input assists with:
· Engaging adolescents and families ( using role-play)
· Understanding how teenagers may rework relational boundaries
· Exploring how therapy can help adolescents own their abilities, develop life skills and access support.
Participants will learn:
· To assess adolescents and make a treatment plan
· To recognise thoughts and feelings that teenagers struggle with
· How an arts -led approach develops understanding of relationships.
Counts as 21.5 hours Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Jon Blend (MA Dip Psych, Dip Child, CQSW) is a gestalt therapist, an Integrative child & adolescent psychotherapist (UKCP & ECP reg.), clinical supervisor, trainer and Lifemusic practitioner with over 30 years’ experience of working with young people and their families. Jon is a former humanistic therapies tutor with The Minster Centre, London, a guest trainer with the Violet Oaklander Foundation and co-founder of EIATSCYP:UK. Recently Jon has taught counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, teachers and wellbeing practitioners in California, Croatia, Georgia, Poland, Bath, Goole, London, Manchester, Prestwich and York. Jon’s writings include a chapter on adolescence in Relational Child, Relational Brain, (2011), Harris and Lee (eds); I Got Rhythm: Music –Making with Children & Adolescents- International Gestalt Journal, V 32 (2) and Spiritual Journeys (2018: pub pend). He is resident musician with Playback South Theatre. Correspondence: [email protected]; Web: http://www.gacp.co.uk/
FURTHER DETAILS / BOOKING:
NB. This workshop links with (optional ) The Drama of Being An Adolescent: 5 Dec @ 8pm, venue Candid Cafe, EC1V . This is an exciting improvisatory performance of stories about teenage life as related by our audience to a troupe of actors plus musician. Hosted by Playback South Theatre (details on Facebook).